The underside of one of the dock sections. All of our attention was focused on winching them out of the water when Stephanie noticed that Gum Boot was on fire.
Stephanie went right for the phone to call the fire department, Darcy grabbed whatever extra fire extinguishers we had inside, and Brandon and I went straight for the boat.
Using the extinguishers from the boat itself, Brandon sprayed into the seat compartment while I lifted the hatch with an oar. Every time I lifted the hatch, the flames leapt out wildly, and within a matter a seconds, we exhausted the smaller extinguisher. After a couple minutes though, we had it under control.
Without a doubt, the fire started in or around the electrical box and was probably smoldering for some time before.
Epic fail. Successful reaction though. I didn't get any photos of the firemen, since I was driving our other boat over to the marina and out of harms way. As I was the last one on the boat, the fire department took my name down. Thankfully, I have neither a record of arson nor of negligence.
No comments:
Post a Comment