Thursday, September 10, 2009

Burnside Skatepark (Portland, OR)

 One of my cards containing Costa Rica photos is still in Williamstown, so I'm going to keep posting photos from the latter half of the summer. These are photos from my time in Portland, Oregon. I was there for my cousin's wedding.
 In Portland, I stumbled upon Burnside Skatepark and met a really interesting group of skaters there. The park is located underneath Burnside Bridge, so it's well hidden.
"In the early 90's, a group of Portland skaters emerged into the public eye. All in their late-teens to early twenties, these skaters were sick of their homemade equipment constantly being torn down or burned, and tired of being kicked out of any public place for just wanting 'to skate so fucking bad.' These kids were smart, and knew that continuing to fight with their enemies would get them no where. Like the adage goes, if you can't beat them, join them. They became allies with their foes and built one of the most challenging skateparks in the world guerilla-style." - Switch Magazine
Burnside oozes with creativity, whether on wheels or with an aerosol can.
 Like I said, creativity. 
 
This guy was killing it all afternoon.
  
For all you gamers, you may remember Burnside Park from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Grind Session, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. It was also featured in the film, Paranoid Park.
 
Dropping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment